Living in Montpellier

Welcome information for foreign students

The Communauté d’universités et d’établissements Languedoc Roussillon, partner of the University of Montpellier, welcomes, informs and guides international students on administrative issues on arrival, housing issues and also internet access, information on life in Montpellier…

The « Point Accueil » of international students is held by multilingual students and is open:

  • from December to July, from Monday to Friday from 2pm to 5pm
  • from September to November, from Monday to Friday from 10am to 5pm

Thanks to an agreement with the Herault Prefecture, it centralizes the VISA demands for non-European citizens.

University campus accomodation (Cités universitaires)

Some rooms from the CROUS available for foreign students, with the possibility on booking online on Interlog; using accessibility codes provided by  the international relations office of the university School of Management.

Campus accomodation is normally open from the 28th of August to the 30th of June.

The rooms offered in 2017-2018 are called « renovated confort level »:

  • 9/10m²
  • bed, fridge, shower, toilets, sink in the room, internet access in the building
  • communal kitchen in the building
  • between 244 and 256 euros per month (cost 2017/2018)

The rental is based on a two-week basis: arrival on the 1st or the 16th of the month, departure the 15th or the last day of the month.

During the first semester, rent must be paid starting on the 15th of September (except for early arrivals) until the scheduled date of departure; for example, if you arrive on the 4th of September, you will pay the rent from the 1st of September. Other example, you leave on the 21th of December, you’ll pay until the 31st of December.

During the second semester, rent must be paid starting on the date of arrival (or minimum, from the 1st of February), until the 15th of June (except in cases of special circumstances which must be justified).

From the 30th of June until the 28th of August, the University campus accomodation becomes Summer holiday accomodation.

Private housing

You can find information on the Communauté d’université et d’établissement Languedoc Roussillon website.

Other tips:

Financial aid for private or university housing :

Foreign students can ask the CAF (CAF du site Richter) for housing aid

  • this aid enables you reduce the monthly rent (more or less 94 euros for university rooms), starting on the second month of rental, as the first month is called « mois de carence » (deficiency month).
  • the form to complete is available at the desk of the Pôle Universitaire or of the cité universitaire
  • the aid is available for monthly rents, two-week rents are not concerned.

More information on the CAF website.

Compulsary rental insurance

All students must take out accommodation insurance to provide garantees in case of accidents.
You can ask the MEP, LMDE, or your bank for information, as they can provide such policies.

University catering (Restaurant Universitaire)
The CROUS is responsible for all university restaurants and cafeterias, offering meals for 3.25 euros. The payment is made with your student card.


TAM  (Transports of the Agglomeration of Montpellier) website, to find information on prices, schedules, route planning, etc.